So I totally forgot to share my exciting new knowledge! I learned how to store real cheddar cheese for 8-10 years on the shelf! And it's so incredibly easy, all you need is food grade wax, which you can only find at a couple of places, and you dip your cheese portions 3 full times and there ya go it's good for 8-10 years. No cheese cloth or anything just wax. In the future I will be learning how to can butter too. I'm excited for that. We have a couple in our ward that has this business that they sell food storage stuff and they also do classes on food storage products, and techniques. And they make AMAZING wheat bread from scratch, starting with the grinding of the wheat. Well that was my exciting news.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I am so glad you posted this. I'm slowly trying to get my food storage in gear as well. I've never heard about storing cheese! You need to e-mail me with more details (where you get the wax, instructions, etc.).
Your family is so cute too! Here's my blog address if you care to add it :) nojoywithoutflipflops.blogspot.com
Hey, I've been meaning to comment on your blog. I totally need to start going to their food storage classes, arn't they one weekend a month or something? Anyway, just saying hi!
Your grass is looking REALLY good for November! Most of the grass around here has lost its luster.
And your boys are looking SO grown up! In that picture Daemon looks almost as old as little James!
Sorry I haven't answered your questions about 72 hour kits. I was meaning to post about it, which I'm hoping to do tonight, I just haven't had the chance yet.
Oh, and where do you get the wax for the cheese? Is there a special brand or name it goes by? I've been buying extra cheese at smith's (tillamook brand 5lb cheese in the bulk section is the cheapest I've found anywhere. It's not my favorite, but it'll do), and just planning on freezing it, but maybe I'll try this method instead.
Post a Comment